Diesel Mechanical #8

Diesel Locomotive #8
Engine #8 was built by the Whitcomb Locomotive Company in 1953.  It is a class 25DM diesel mechanical locomotive.  #8 was among the last locomotives built under the Whitcomb name.  Whitcomb, long a division of the Baldwin Locomotive Works, ceased production of locomotives under their own name in December of 1953.   Built for Pennsylvania Power and Light as their number #E129. At one point #8 was setup for radio control, although this system has long since been removed.  E129 was purchased by the Williams Grove Historical Steam Engine Association in the 1980’s and renumbered to #8. #8 is used mainly for switching and track work, but does see limited use in passenger service.  From 2001-2006 #8 was our primary locomotive while our steam locomotive #643, was out of service.   In the 1990s #8 received an extensive rebuild that included the installation of a larger more powerful Cummins diesel engine that replaced the original Caterpillar.